Redoing My Interior & Installing Starry Night Lights! I will start off and say this wasn’t something I was always dreamed about doing to my car, it kind of just happened. I was inspired by a local build and wanted to create the look in my wagon. The first thing I did was research the fiber optic lights. The quantity of lights was the biggest factor and it ultimately came down to how concentrated I wanted the lights to look in the headliner. I also wanted the lights to reach the entire length of the headliner. I ended up purchasing a kit on Amazon of 450 count for about $120. Another thing that I wanted to tackle simultaneously was the tan upper half of the interior. Things like the handles, sun glass compartment, light pieces, and seat belt pieces were all tan plastic. I wanted to black out the interior completely.
With the help from Jonny, Brandon, Josh, and Danny, we spent a day taking the interior apart and spraying everything with black fabric paint. We first wiped down all the pillars and handles (anything that would have grease or dirt) to help the paint adhere better.
I took the headliner to get reupholstered at a local shop, which took about a week to be completed. I asked for black suede, but received a “suede-like material” because apparently “suede is too thin of a material and the fabric glue would show lines through the liner.” WHATEVER. Brandon and Josh helped with the transportation of the liner to and from the shop – thanks guys! After we brought the headliner back to my house, we propped it up in the living room on top of my coffee table and got to work. We separated the 450 strands into four equal(ish) sections and worked our way through. We started with thumb tacks as poking tools minimize the size of the hole, but after doing about 20 strands with the thumb tacks, we got annoyed and switched to beauty scissors (small and sharp blades). These worked so much better and we were able to work much faster poking the holes and feeding the fiber optic strands through. This took about 10 hours total spread over a two week period.
After poking all the holes, I glued them down with Gorilla Fabric glue I bought from Joann’s. The glue had to set for 24 hours, then I pulled on each fiber optic strand to make sure they were secure. I snipped the excess fiber from the headliner side. I also had to also make sure that while gluing them down that there was enough strand to run all of the strands in a bunch down a pillar in my trunk for the light box to be hidden (still working on the hiding part!) We installed the interior pieces and got it all back together in a day, and I am absolutely in love with the end result:
I don’t ever want to do a headliner like this again. I took a lot of mental breaks because I was getting SO frustrated with just sitting there and poking tiny holes through the liner. But the end result is beautiful and mesmerizing, and I’m happy I was able to do this with my headliner with the help of some awesome people.